Generate a Network License File in Autodesk Account:
After planning your network and installing the Network License Manager (NLM), you need to obtain a network license file from Autodesk. This license file contains important licensing and server information and is used to configure your server so that you can run the NLM.
Generating a network license file in Autodesk Account and validating that license consists of the following tasks:
- Collect License Server Information
- Sign in to Autodesk Account
- Choose a License Server Model
- Select Available Products
- Allocate Seats to Distributed Server License Files
- Generate the License File(s)
- Copy License Files to a Server
- Confirm License File Accuracy
Collect License Server Information
Generating network license files in Autodesk Account requires you to provide information about your network license server(s). Here is the information required for each server model type:
Single Server Model:
- Host name and physical address of the server
Redundant Server Model:
- Host name and physical address for all three servers
Distributed Server Model:
- Number of servers in the distributed server model
- Host name and physical address for each server
- Number of seats on each server
See these articles to learn more about license server model options and locating names and addresses of servers:
Sign in to Autodesk Account
In order to generate a network license in Autodesk Account you must be a Contract Manager or Software Coordinator and have a subscription with multi-user access for the product requiring a network license, otherwise you will not see the following options in Autodesk Account.
Sign in to your Autodesk Account using the email address and password you provided when you bought your subscription. There are two methods for beginning the process of generating a license file:
- Click Generate Network License File under QUICK LINKS and then select your server model and the products to be added to the license file.
- Click the disclosure arrow to the left of a product to reveal product details. Click Generate Network License File for the version and serial number you want to add to pre-select the product for the server model you will choose. If only one product is being added to the license file, this can allow you to skip a later step of selecting available products.
Choose a License Server Model
Select the license server model that corresponds to your network environment and enter your server information.
Single Server Model
- Enter the server name and MAC address for your server.
- Click the + button to select product licenses for this server.
Click Change Server Model to select a different server model. This will discard any information you’ve entered and return you to the previous screen.
Redundant Server Model
- Enter the server name and MAC address for all three servers in the redundant server pool.
- Click the + button to select product licenses for these servers.
Distributed Server Model
- Enter the server name and MAC address for the first server in your distributed server pool.
- Click the + button to select product licenses for this server.
- Click Add another network server to add additional servers.
Repeat steps 1–3 until you have added all your distributed servers and specified products for each.
Select Available Products
Note: If you started by pre-selecting the product in step 2, your product will automatically have been added to the server model you chose. You can either skip this step or use this list to add additional products.
In the previous steps you clicked the + button to select product licenses for the servers. From the list of available products, select the products to be included in the license file. Click Select all to include all products or click the checkbox for individual products. Click Add selected when finished.
Allocate Seats to Distributed Server License Files
Note: If you are generating a license file for single or redundant server models, you can skip this step.
For distributed servers, you need to allocate the available number of seats to the different servers for the products you added. Click the + or – buttons to increment or decrement the number of seats for each product on each server.
The system will warn you if you have under-allocated (not allocating all available seats) or over-allocated (allocating more seats than are available). Adjust the seat allocations until you have used all available seats. You will not be able to generate a license file if you have over-allocated seats.
Generate the License File(s)
When you are ready to generate the license files, click the Get license file button.
License information is displayed according to the servers and products you specified. Click Copy to clipboard to copy this information to be pasted into a license file. Click Save as… to save the license file to a specified location.
Clicking Send and close will send the license file to the email address associated with your Autodesk account. If you provide additional email addresses, the license file will be sent to those addresses as well.
For distributed servers, license files are generated separately for each server and this screen will be displayed once for each license file. Click Send and next to email each license file and advance to the next license file. Click Send and close when you have reached the last license file.
Copy License Files to a Server
After you have generated your license file, you must save it on your license server. We recommend you save your license file to the location where you installed your Network License Manager or to a separate folder where you keep your licenses. Here are example locations for different operating systems when using the latest version of the Network License Manager (220.127.116.11):
- C:\Autodesk\Network License Manager\
Note: The license file you generated will have a default name such as, NOSTROMO0011855170BE.lic. You can rename the license file to anything you prefer but it must have a “.lic” extension.
Confirm License File Accuracy
After generating your license file, it is important to confirm that it contains the correct information. Your license file will only work on the machine that has the same physical address as shown in the license. If the host name does not match the host name of the server, you can modify the host name in your license file. If the physical address does not match the physical address of the server you must generate a new license with the correct physical address.
To confirm the accuracy of your license file:
- Open the license file using a text editor (such as Notepad or TextEdit).Note: Do not use Microsoft Word or any other word processing program that might modify the formatting of the license file.
- Verify that the host name and physical address matches that of the server where the license is used. If it does not match, you will need to generate a new license file with the correct information. The first line(s) of the license file, beginning with SERVER will list your host name and physical address as shown in the following examples:
SERVER NOSTROMO 001F5B398D08Redundant server license
SERVER NOSTROMO 001F5B398C08
SERVER SULACO 005056b5600a
SERVER AURIGA 00FFC0D3BD0E
After you verify that your license file is correct, you can close it and move to installing and configuring the Network License Manager.